Aromatherapy & Movement: A Symbiotic Relationship

Wednesday, August 22, 2018


Guest post by Nora Minno, Aromatherapy Associates Eat, Move Wellbeing Ambassador

Living in New York City, I have always been of the “go, go, go” mindset. More is more. Faster is better. No time to waste. Add being a fitness trainer on top of that and multiply the intensity by about 100.

I had always thought that slowing down, resting, or taking time for yourself was a sign of weakness. I never took the time to make resting my body or my mind part of my regular, daily routine. I would wait until that moment when I would get sick, or feel so run down that I just needed a vacation to truly rest. I would prioritize myself in other ways -- eating well and exercising, but never took moments to pause and reflect on how I felt or incorporate additional practices to complement my fitness and nutrition in broader, more holistic ways.

I was of that mindset, until recently when I discovered the incredible benefits of essential oils and how they can not only support my physical fitness but mental fitness as well. I found that by having the small ritual of taking time to do something for my body, I gave myself the opportunity to pause and reflect on my day, rest my mind, and reset. I have also found that this holistic approach can help aid in better muscular recovery, increased energy, and a stronger immune system – all essential for optimal physical fitness.

Now, instead of viewing self-care as a way of slowing down or falling behind, I have discovered that by implementing a more holistic approach and taking a few minutes to pause each day and take care of my body, I am able to do more and be more efficient with my energy.

Below are a few of the many ways I have found essential oils complimentary to an optimal fitness routine.

Recovery
Recovery and restoration of your muscles can be just as important as the workout itself. To stimulate circulation and relieve aches and pains, I use the De-Stress Muscle Gel daily. Black pepper, ginger, and rosemary essential oils have all been shown to support circulation and thus support physical recovery post-workout.

Stress Reducing
An active lifestyle can not only cause physical but mental stress. Keeping a clear mind and relaxed body is an important part of an optimal fitness routine. Ingredients like lavender oil and chamomile oil are the perfect way to relax the body and mind and prepare yourself for any challenges ahead. I love using the De-Stress Edit travel pack to keep my mind at ease, especially the night before a big event or physical push. 

Breathe Support
A strong fitness routine includes intense cardiovascular work. Peppermint oil has been found by several studies to improve respiratory performance in athletes and also reduce congestion. Extensive research also shows how eucalyptus oil can help soothe respiratory problems such as asthma or bronchitis, and its antimicrobial effects can help reduce inflammation. That is why the Support Breathe Bath & Shower Oil and Support Breathe Essence have become part of my regular fitness routine. 

Energy Boosting
There is no doubt that a good workout requires feeling alert and energized. Citrus oils such as grapefruit oil can help stimulate the nervous system causing a sensation of increased energy and invigoration. I love keeping the Revive Morning Roller Ball in my gym bag for a quick boost before a workout!

Immune Support
You can’t maintain an active lifestyle if you’re constantly getting sick. Several essential oils have antimicrobial and immune-supporting effects, including eucalyptus, tea tree, and pine oils. I recommend using the Support Breathe Essence daily to promote a strong immune and respiratory system.

You Might Also Like

0 comments